Pages

Sunday, February 19, 2012

Easy Peasy...Sometimes Cheesy

Ohm...nom...nom...nom...nom.



True Story - my mom made me breakfast and packed my lunch until I graduated high school. I offered to pack my own, but each time she would shake her head and tell me it was easier to just pack them all at once. I don't know that I truly appreciated it back then. There were days when I subbed that hand packed lunch for the baked potato topped with cheese from the cafeteria. That's cheese from a can in case you're wondering (gag). All these years later, I now realize how lucky I am to have a mom that was able to stay home and make sure I got to school with a good lunch. Although, with all that special treatment, it is a wonder I ever made it in the real world ;).

Nowadays, I pack my lunch for work. My office doesn't have a cafeteria and I try to only eat out on occasion. I am always looking for new, easy, nutritious ideas to cook for the work week. Lately, I have been making 'mixes' on Sunday nights that I can use for lunch during the week. This has worked really well since I don't want to spend a bunch of time in the mornings preparing my lunch.

I have been using quinoa as a base lately. Fun fact: Quinoa is not a true grain (even though it looks like one), and is most closely related to leafy greens like spinach. It is a good source of amino acids (protein), magnesium, and folate. In addition to the quinoa, I mix up some type of protein and vegetables. This week I used steamed lentils, tomatoes, spinach, peppers, and onion. The 'mix' possibilities are really endless.

I made eight servings for just under 10 dollars. That averages out to around $1.25 per serving. How does the nutrition stack up? Well, I am glad you asked :)

Serving = 1c. cooked Quinoa + 1/2 c. Mix (lentils, tomatoes, peppers, onion, spinach)
Calories:  280
Fat: 3g
Carbohydrates: 50g
Fiber: 9g
Sodium: 195mg
Protein: 13g

I also like to top mine with plain greek yogurt or a little cheese (extra fat and protein). Add a small salad and/or a piece of fruit on the side and you have an easy, cheap, nutritious, delicious lunch! One that would even make your mom proud.

-M

***Note that serving size will depend on an individual's nutritional needs. The serving I chose was to be used as a frame of reference. Thanks!***









No comments:

Post a Comment